So, I thought this would be a little bit of fun aswell as a bit educational. I have some parts lying around, and I wanted to give this a shot. I want this system to be able to:
- Burn ISO images of single layer DVD
- Burn the contents of a folder to DVD
- Duplicate discs
- Create ISOs of discs to HDD or network
All of this should be available via a remote interface, and all options should be able to use multiple drives.
So thats the idea, first step is the hardware. Here are the components I will be using:
- Lian Li case (It was recently made redundent) (4x 5.25″ bays 2x 3.5″ 3x 3.5″ HDD bays)
- 350W PSU (Not branded)
- 300W PSU Codegen
- PSU Tester (to bring the second PSU online)
- AOpen AK77 Pro-A 133 Motherboard
- AMD Athlon 2100+ XP
- Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2 (CPU Heatsync and Fan)
- 512MB DDR 400 (That’s PC3200) (Thanks to Steve Peace (http://www.stevepearce.info))
- nVidia GeForce MX-440 8X 64MB
- Realtek RTL8169S Gigabit Ethernet NIC (Unfortunately no boot ROM)
- Fujitsu MPC3065AH (6.5GB) IDE – This will be the system drive
- Maxtor 90651U2 (6.5GB) IDE – Temp drive (For disc images)
- Pioneer DVR-109 IDE
- Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7170A IDE (Only reads/writes DVDs – It was free)
- Toshiba Samsung SH-S182 IDE
- NEC ND-3550A IDE
- iTE IT8212F IDE Controller (2 channel)
- Floppy Drive (was already in the case, dont need the bay and I can’t see a blanking plate)
- 2x 120mm fan
As I have a floppy drive, might consider grabbing that as a boot record…
Ok, so I’ve hooked it all up, and mounted the PSU on the top of the case (temporarily) with cable ties and black tape.
( Click pics to see bigger versions )
Now that its all together, lets see if it boots!
It didn’t at first, but I reseated the memory and now it runs as expected. Now for the software!